Sunday, April 20, 2008

The finale

I have often spoken about the remarkable change in attitude and tone coming from this government since Premier Stelmach took over. One of the areas where this change is the most pronounced is Alberta's arts community.

The Edmonton Journal has a good piece today on Culture Minister Lindsay Blackett and the gusto with which he has embraced his new role.

This is something that you just would not have seen under Ralph Klein. To describe his relationship with the arts community as "standoff-ish" would be an understatement.

But things have changed. I have spent a lot of time over the last few weeks in Edmonton talking with our new MLAs and just generally observing the mood. There is a profoundly different (and positive) spirit in the corridors of the Legislature these days. It's encouraging. It's exciting!

As an aside, the story in the Journal reminded me of an episode before the election where Alberta's political leaders were asked to name their favourite Alberta artists. The Premier was a bit taken aback by the question and didn't really have a response, but I suspect Minister Blackett will be taking care of that.

For my part, I'd like to offer a shameless plug for 3 of my favourites: Tim Hus, Cam Penner & the Gravel Road, and Scratch Improv.

Finally friends and faithful readers, I must bid you adieu.

As some of you may know and as I have eluded to in my last few posts, I will be moving to Edmonton this evening to start a new and challenging job working for the men and women of the PC caucus in the Alberta Legislature.

I have enjoyed sharing my thoughts with you all over the past few years. Having an outlet for my take on politics in our province has been a great joy and, during my time in British Columbia, even kept me somewhat sane. Although I look forward to my new position in Edmonton, it means that I will no longer be blogging.

I want to thank each and every one of you who have visited this site over the last few years. I have very much enjoyed being a part of your regular reading and have been continually astounded by the calibre of people who read this blog.

Although I am removing myself from the blogosphere, I will remain a keen consumer of blog news and views and encourage you to do the same. I have often stated that I fell ass backwards into blogging and in no way profess to be an expert. That said, I have learned a lot about technology, the powers of social media, and about Alberta and Albertans in general. The blogosphere is indeed a wonderful thing and we should all embrace it.

Thanks again for reading! Stay in touch!

12 comments:

  1. You're the Jason Cherniak of Alberta PC politics. Take that how you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck! You can always leak some juicy tidbits to some of us Alberta bloggers!!! Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. West Coast TeddiApril 20, 2008

    And you left the west coast to move to "Edmonton"!!!say Hi to the UofA Golden Bears, enjoy the grounds around the Legislature and don't walk over the High Level in a snow storm.

    Thanks for the Alberta perspective. Will miss your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your perspectives will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason HickmanApril 21, 2008

    Congrats and best of luck with the new career!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bruno Gerussi's MedallionApril 21, 2008

    "In February 1995, Stelmach was one of 12 Tory MLAs who voted against a successful Liberal motion to recognize Freedom to Read Week in the province."
    -- FFWD, Feb. 28, 2008

    That pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

    What's your new job in the PC caucus? Reading Ed's briefing notes for him?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As sad as I am to see the end of your blog I'm really happier that you actually have a job! No your mom didn't tell me to say that.
    Congrats on the new job, have fun and keep me updated on how things go.
    Say hi to Tom Olsen for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Question: Why are we left with mostly left-wing bloggers in Alberta?

    Oh yeah, because they can't get a job. :)

    Congrats. There are some real up-and-comers in caucus, and some experienced ones as well that could benefit from some good exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you success in all your future endeavours, AT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blake Congrats, I know you will do a great job. Please remember to advocate for me as the non-Tory representative on the Alberta - Arizona border commission. I feel I would be able to provide great insight to some of the trials and tribulations that our great province faces in our on again off again love affair with the state of Arizona. In particular, I am concerned about the border fence and the ramnifications it may have for the province of Alberta. I have discussed this problem extensively with former Liberals who are now Tory MLA's and they agree with me about the fierce urgency of now for you to recommend me to the Commission. As a Commissioner, I would be willing, on my own dime, to investigate whether Las Vegas Stag Parties truly provide good "Bang for the Buck" for Albertans. With me, Albertans will be well served.

    Let me know what the Premier thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty hard to advocate for an anonymous poster. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your move, can't say it is a surprise....

    ....and I think that you should ONLY advocate for 'anonymous'.... it might make for a some interesting mixes/...

    additionally it might give a few of those (are the bloggers really liberal???? shocked)bloggers employment.

    greengirl

    ReplyDelete